A 21-year-old Toronto woman has filed a $5 million Uber Canada lawsuit after she was allegedly assaulted by one of their drivers back in July 2019. According to Vice, the woman, referred to as A.B. in the lawsuit, is going after both the ride-share company and the driver, 33-year-old Suhail Siddiqi, for general and special damages, sexual assault and intentional acts of battery.
According to Toronto Police Services, the incident took place in the Caledonia Road and Lawrence Avenue West area in the early morning of July 14, 2019. Siddiqi, who is a registered driver for both Uber and Lyft, reportedly picked up the woman, even though he was not her designated driver. The 33-year-old then allegedly drove A.B. to a secluded area where he proceeded to sexually assault her.
“This man approached her and said he was her driver. At that point she did get into the vehicle and was driven to a secluded area where this man sexually assaulted her, took her phone and then kicked her out of the vehicle,” Constable Caroline de Kloet explained in an interview with CP24 back in July,According to A.B.’s lawyer, who spoke with Vice, the multi-million-dollar lawsuit is the first of its kind against Uber in Canada.
An Uber spokesperson told Vice that the ride-share company could not comment on the ongoing case. However, they had previously provided a statement on the issue following Siddiqi’s arrest.
"What has been described is horrible and has no place anywhere. As soon as we learned of this report, we immediately removed the individual's access to the app and revoked his license from the city,” the statement said. “We are fully cooperating with law enforcement and will continue to support their investigation."
A.B. lawyer stated this week that he believes the case could take as long as five years to resolve.