Sign in
An Ammonia Gas Leak At University Of Toronto Just Sent Someone To The Hospital

There was just an ammonia gas leak reported at the University of Toronto downtown campus. The first responders were called to Lash Miller Chemical Lab, located at 80 St. George Street, at about 1:20 p.m. today. One person has been taken to the hospital, and paramedics assessed two people in total after the University of Toronto gas leak

The issue has been contained to one room, according to fire officials. The entire building has been evacuated as a precaution, however.So far there are no known causes of the leak, but an investigation is currently underway, CP24 reports.

Inhalation of ammonia can result in death, according to the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry. It is a colourless, "highly irritating gas" with a "pungent and suffocating odour", says their website. Inhaling the lighter-than-air gas can cause respiratory distress or failure. It can cause serious corrosion and burning anywhere that it has come into contact with. It causes a burning sensation in the eyes, nose and throat when in the atmosphere.

It can cause other symptoms such as nausea and vomiting, swelling of the eyes, and even permanent blindness. Survivors of severe inhalation injury may suffer residual chronic lung disease.

Stay Informed
Get Toronto's latest and greatest stories every day straight to your inbox.