It seems as though Vancouver could be going to the rats. According to a new video posted on social media, a rat was reportedly found inside a popular Greek restaurant in Vancouver. The video was taken very early on Tuesday morning and unfortunately, this is not the first time this unexpected visitor has visited the establishment. The most surprising thing is that no one seems to be concerned!
According to the Instagram user, the rat was found at Stepho’s Souvlaki Greek Taverna on Davie Street. Sidney Winston was walking by the establishment when he noticed the mouse and whipped out his phone, quickly posting the video to Instagram. Later, the video was shared to Reddit where it gained more views.
In the video, you can see the popular restaurant is closed down for the evening. In the middle of the floor, there is a small, brown ball. After a few seconds, it's clear that the brown ball is some type of rodent.
The videographer then films the outside of the restaurant to verify the location. In the Instagram post, Winston even tags the City of Vancouver.
Narcity had a chance to speak with Winston about the encounter. According to him, the incident took place at around 4:30 a.m. on Tuesday, Aug. 13. At the time, the restaurant was closed and cleaned.
According to Winston, this is not the first time he has seen a rat in there. Some months ago, Winston remembers walking by and seeing another furry visitor through the window — so this time when he strolled by, he was ready.
When Winston saw the first rat encounter a few months ago, he never recounted the details to anyone in the building or to health officials.
He claims that the cleaners had just finished up and were heading back into the kitchen area when he noticed the rat in the front.
“I think the rat lives there,” Winston told Narcity.
Narcity has reached out to Stepho’s Souvlaki Greek Taverna located on Davie St. While a manager was on duty, they were not willing to comment on the situation.
It seems as though all of us are a little jaded as no one is really shocked that this happened. On Reddit, people don’t seem to be that concerned. People are saying that because it is a restaurant in a very populated area, rats and rodents are to be expected.
In fact, all of the comments under this particular Reddit post are unfazed. This is a substantially different viewpoint than when a rat was found in a 7-Eleven cooler in Vancouver.
When a photo of this large rat was posted online, the internet was freaking out. Many users were telling the original poster to contact Vancouver Coast Health as it was a serious health infraction.
It seems as though Vancouverites have become a little more lenient to rat and rodent sightings in restaurants after one rat was found dead in a soup bowl last year.
Let's just hope this never happens again.