Narcity is open to collaborating with enthusiastic freelance writers in the lifestyle and travel space, who can cater to Gen Z and Millennial audiences in our existing and expanding markets — Canada, the USA and the UK.
We’re looking for writers who can contribute on a regular basis and publish everything — from lists and features to personal essays and opinion pieces.
We believe in putting Gen Z and Millennial voices front and center, in order to connect with our global neighbourhood, and are excited to deliver fascinating, authentically diverse stories from around the world.
We want to be the primary source for news and views that amplify the lives, loves, concerns and discussions most important to our Gen Z and Millennial readers. We recognize that authenticity is key, and want our diverse readership to be able to engage with writers who represent their interests.
What Are We Looking For?
We’re seeking original pitches from published lifestyle and travel writers with a clear and distinctive voice — who aren’t afraid to push the boundaries of their storytelling. Our freelancers should be open to pitching ideas as well as receiving assignments on a regular basis.
Writers should have experience writing about Narcity’s biggest topics, including Travel, Eat & Drink, Things To Do, Real Estate, People, Sports, Money and Entertainment.
Here’s some inspiration for original stories we’re excited to publish:
- I Tried McDonald's 'Adult Happy Meal' To See If It's Worth The Upcharge (PHOTOS)
- A Former Employee Got Real About Working At Winners & There Are So Many Secret Tips
- 11 Things I Never Do When Eating At A Restaurant After Working In The Service Industry 9 Years
- I Went To Canada's Largest Nude Beach & Was Shocked By More Than Just The Birthday Suits
- 8 Things I’ve Started Buying At Dollarama Since The Cost Of Groceries Went Up
- I Tried 7 Canadian Snacks For The First Time Since Moving From The UK & Ranked Them
At this time, we are not looking for time-sensitive News pitches.
Who Can Pitch?
We invite pitches from all members of our community with relevant published work, including writers from equity-deserving backgrounds. If you have a big idea or a worthwhile experience to share, we want to hear all about it!
How Do I Pitch?
Please write to email@example.com with the following:
- At least 3 story ideas targeted towards Narcity readers, including:
- Proposed headlines (make sure to familiarize yourself with how we do headlines at Narcity)
- A few sentences on each idea, including what makes the article original/unique
- At least 3 links to previously published work relevant to Narcity’s coverage
- An updated CV or link to your LinkedIn profile
- Links to your social media handles, to help us get a sense of your voice & personality
- Your availability for assignments (how many pieces per week/month are you able to contribute?)
What Happens After My Pitch Is Accepted?
If we love your pitch, our Editors will be in touch with you to send over a Freelancer Agreement and discuss story structure, photos, word count, deadline and the fee for your work, as well as to share our Style Guide.
All submitted work must abide by Narcity’s Editorial Standards.
Does Narcity Pay Freelancers?
Of course! We compensate freelance writers for all submitted pieces. Rates will be agreed upon when a pitch is accepted. Currently, our rates fall between $50 and $300 depending on the article and amount of work involved.
Narcity follows Net60 Payment terms — instructions for invoicing and payments will be shared accordingly, following the successful completion of the contracting process.