That's $16.9 million every single day. 🤯💰
This Canadian federal election could be the most expensive of all time in Canada, as it's estimated to cost an eye-watering $610 million.
In a statement shared with Narcity, Elections Canada confirmed the price estimate for 2021, noting that the 2019 federal election cost around $502 million in total.
As this snap election is just 36 days long — the shortest possible election period under federal law — it works out at around $16.9 million per day. Per CityNews, this would make it the priciest election Canada has ever seen.
Reasons for the increased costs include COVID-19 safety measures like face coverings, single-use pencils and hand sanitizer, in addition to preparations for the expected flood of mail-in ballots.
Explaining his reasons for calling a snap federal election during a pandemic, Justin Trudeau asked, "Who wouldn't want their chance to help decide where our country goes from here? Canadians need to choose how we finish the fight against COVID-19 and build back better."
Other major party leaders, including Yves-Francois Blanchet and Jagmeet Singh, criticized the timing of the decision to call an election.
- Federal Election Canada 2021 Has Politicians In Campaign Mode ... ›
- Elections Canada Explained How We'll Vote During A Pandemic ... ›
- Elections Canada Jobs At Polling Stations Pay More Than Minimum ... ›
- We Asked Canadians To Name The Party Leaders Running In The Election & It Got Awkward - Narcity ›
- Taking Selfies With Election Ballots Is Actually Illegal & Here’s How To Avoid Any Trouble - Narcity ›