"IT'S ON." 🇨🇦🗳
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has officially called a snap federal election, which means Canadians will be heading to the polls within a matter of weeks.
While many politicians have been in campaign-mode for ages, Canada's federal party leaders took to social media on Sunday, August 15, to share their opinion on the Liberal leader's decision to call an election.
Here's a look at how they reacted and what they're saying ahead of September 20:
We’ve had your back, and now it’s time to hear your voice. You need to choose how we finish the fight against COVID… https://t.co/zwqJCgW9Rw— Justin Trudeau (@Justin Trudeau) 1629051965.0
Speaking to reporters on Sunday, August 15, the prime minister spoke about why he had called a snap federal election during the COVID-19 pandemic.
"The decisions your government makes right now will define the future your kids and grandkids grow up in," he said. "So in this pivotal, consequential moment, who wouldn't want a say?"
Taking to Twitter on Sunday afternoon, he told his 5.6 million followers, "You need to choose how we finish the fight against COVID-19 and build back better. That's what[the 2021 election] is about."
I am ready to get our economy surging in the right direction for all Canadians. Vote Conservative. https://t.co/YjQKho5N35— Erin O'Toole (@Erin O'Toole) 1629041022.0
Prior to Trudeau's announcement, Conservative Party leader Erin O'Toole tweeted to say that he was "ready" for an election. On August 12, he said, "It's time we had a Prime Minister planning an economic recovery focused on Canadians."
Responding on Sunday, O'Toole shared an image of himself with the caption "IT'S ON." He added, "I am ready to get our economy surging in the right direction for all Canadians. Vote Conservative."
Together with people across Canada, New Democrats have fought to make a difference in the lives of Canadians during… https://t.co/wQU058niUp— Jagmeet Singh (@Jagmeet Singh) 1629050804.0
NDP leader Jagmeet Singh didn't hold back on the prime minister on Sunday, accusing him of calling an election " because he's focused on keeping his own job and his rich insider friends happy."
After previously calling the move "selfish," Singh went on to tell his followers, "Our priority has been you, your family, and your jobs - not an election. Justin Trudeau could have worked for you, but instead, he chose himself."
« La pandémie est le thème de campagne libérale. Il aurait été plus efficace pour la sortie de crise de parler de l… https://t.co/0PQ0IBtqkW— Bloc Québécois (@Bloc Québécois) 1629045671.0
While the Bloc leader didn't immediately respond on social media, he told reporters on Sunday that he thought Trudeau's decision to call an election is "irresponsible."
"I don't have the feeling that Trudeau is writing a page of history but a page of his own biography," Blanchet said, per CBC News.
"If the situation is serious enough to impose compulsory vaccination, isn't it too dangerous to go on an election campaign?" he asked, referring to the Liberal government's recent decision to mandate COVID-19 vaccines for federal employees.
Fourth wave of the pandemic. Forest wildfires & evacuations. Forty °C heat waves. This is no time for an election.… https://t.co/eGYbPrG2b6— Annamie Paul (@Annamie Paul) 1629052154.0
Like Jagmeet Singh, Green Party leader Annamie Paul criticized the prime minister's motives for calling an election right now. On Twitter on August 15, she wrote, "Now is not the time for a national election. We are still in a still in a pandemic and have entered a fourth wave."
Later, she added, "Fourth wave of the pandemic. Forest wildfires & evacuations. Forty °C heat waves. This is no time for an election. It is time for daring leadership."
"[The Green Party] are the party for this moment. Together, let's build a sustainable and just future for all Canadians."
- Jagmeet Singh Just Blasted Trudeau For Calling A Snap Election ... ›
- Trudeau Just Called A 'Snap Election' & Here's What That Means ... ›
- Elections Canada Explained How We'll Vote During A Pandemic - Narcity ›
- Erin O’Toole Says He Wouldn't Make COVID-19 Vaccines Mandatory In Canada - Narcity ›
- 'GST Holiday' In December Is Erin O'Toole's Latest Election Promise - Narcity ›
- Here's How To Vote From Abroad In Canada's 2021 Federal Election - Narcity ›
- This Survey Shows Canada's Federal Election Results Could Be Close - Narcity ›
- Liberal Video Was Flagged As 'Manipulated Media' & Trudeau Responded - Narcity ›
- Trudeau Says He'll Make It Easier To Buy Your First Home In Canada - Narcity ›
- Green Party Leader Annamie Paul Accidentally Told People To Vote For The Liberals (VIDEO) - Narcity ›
- Canada's Party Leaders Shared A Video Message About Vaccines & It's Awkward As Heck ›
- Justin Trudeau Says He Has No Regrets About Calling An Election During A Pandemic - Narcity ›