Trudeau Just Called A 'Snap Election' & Here's What That Means For Canadians
The federal election campaign officially begins.
Canadians will be heading to the polls after Prime Minister Justin Trudeau called a snap election on Sunday, August 15.
Here's what you need to know about the snap election on September 20, what it means and what a vote could look like during the fourth wave.
Normally, Canada's next election would be on October 16, 2023, four years after the last election in 2019. However, the prime minister has the ability to advise the governor-general to dissolve parliament, which triggers an early election, known as a snap election.
According to Elections Canada, the government is responsible for calling all federal elections and an election period has to be a minimum of 36 days and a maximum of 50 days.
As a result of COVID-19, Elections Canada has been reviewing procedures to prepare for holding an accessible, safe and secure election during a pandemic. Changes include physical distancing, hand sanitizing stations, plexiglass barriers and face masks at polling places along with a more convenient vote-by-mail system.
Why would Justin Trudeau call a snap election now?
Pauline Beange, who teaches Canadian politics at the University of Toronto and specializes in political parties, told Narcity that minority governmentsinCanada typically onlylastabouttwoyears and Trudeau's Liberals are currently higher in the polls than the Conservatives.
"It seems likely that he is acting strategically based on polling and the fact that he would like to have a majority in the House of Commons," she said.
Days before the snap election was called, NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh tweeted to say that calling an election now is "selfish" and that Trudeau can recall the House of Commons to get back to work. He also sent a letter to Trudeau telling him that the NDP is "ready to return to Parliament and keep fighting for Canadians."
- Trudeau Is Reportedly About To Call A Snap Election For Just Over ... ›
- Canadian Federal Election 2021 'Could Well Happen' According To ... ›
- Federal Election Canada 2021 Has Politicians In Campaign Mode Early - Narcity ›
- Trudeau Explained His Reasons For Calling A Snap Election In Canada - Narcity ›
- Jagmeet Singh Just Blasted Trudeau For Calling A Snap Election - Narcity ›
- Canadian Federal Election Is Coming & Here’s What You Need To Know - Narcity ›
- Canada Federal Election 2021: Here's What The Major Leaders Have Said - Narcity ›
- Erin O’Toole Says He Wouldn't Make COVID-19 Vaccines Mandatory In Canada - Narcity ›
- Trudeau Family Photo Shows What Life On The Election Trail Looks Like - Narcity ›
- 'GST Holiday' In December Is Erin O'Toole's Latest Election Promise - Narcity ›
- COVID-19 Vaccines Won't Be Mandatory For Voters & Poll Workers - Narcity ›
- This Survey Shows Canada's Federal Election Results Could Be Close - Narcity ›
- Elections Canada Jobs At Polling Stations Pay More Than Minimum Wage - Narcity ›
- Justin Trudeau's Liberal Leather Jacket Is Back & He Doesn't Care That It's August - Narcity ›