EN - News

Ford Confirms Toronto, Peel & York Could Stay In Lockdown After Next Week

"I'm always concerned about the third wave."

Premier Ford said on Tuesday morning that Toronto, Peel, and York could remain in the grey-lockdown zone come February 22. 

In an interview with Breakfast Television, Ford said that he wouldn't call this reopening but "transitioning," and loosening restrictions in these areas will be a slow and steady process.

Editor's Choice: Here's What You Can Do In Each Colour Zone When Most Of Ontario Reopens On Tuesday

I'm always concerned about the third wave, again, we have to be cautious. Premier Doug Ford

"We're going to be consulting with the Chief Medical Officer and the local medical officers of the three regions to determine if they want to continue moving forward and if they don't, they're still going to be in the grey-lockdown."

The grey-lockdown zone allows only retail stores to be open with capacity being restricted by 75%.

Ford says this transition will be nothing like the "full-blown reopening" that happened in September. 

Today, schools reopened for in-person learning in these regions. The premier said that asymptomatic testing will be provided at 40 different schools each week, with 50,000 tests available. 

"If we need to ramp that up even further, we'll ramp it up," he said. 

Currently, the spread of several variants of concern has led experts to worry about the possibility of a third wave.

Ford admitted to Breakfast Television that while he's worried about a potential third wave, he'll continue to consult with the experts and take their advice.

This comes as 27 public health regions move out of the stay-at-home order today and into colour zones with fewer restrictions. 

As Premier Doug Ford continues to urge residents to get vaccinated so Ontario can finally move out of step three of the provincial reopening plan, his daughter Krista Ford Haynes has taken to her Instagram account to share her thoughts on COVID-19 vaccines.

"This is what I got in the mail today, so I'm going to read it to y'all," Premier Ford's eldest daughter said in the video before she flashed the informational COVID-19 flyer to the camera.

Keep Reading Show less

Ontario is set to enter the final phase of its three-step reopening plan on July 21, but what happens beyond step three is still TBD.

Premier Doug Ford was asked about the province's plans during a news conference on Monday, and he said that the details will be unveiled over the next few weeks.

Keep Reading Show less

An Ontario pub isn't taking Doug Ford's decision to keep restaurants closed lightly — in fact, it's sending him a bill.

The Nelson Street Pub, located in Pembroke, Ontario, called on the provincial government to reopen patios while revealing an invoice addressed to the premier.

Keep Reading Show less

Ontario Doctors Are Slamming Ford's COVID-19 Restrictions & Say More Needs To Be Done

Doctors are saying restrictions are "deliberately harmful" and "criminal."

Ontario doctors are now challenging the Ford government's latest stay-at-home orders.

Last week, Doug Ford announced that the stay-at-home order would be extended for an additional two weeks, and more restrictions, such as increased enforcement and the shuttering of golf courses would be put in place. 

Keep Reading Show less