The 27-country bloc has agreed to open its borders.👇
The European Union is reopening its borders to eligible vaccinated tourists, although it's not yet clear if this will include Canada or not.
On Wednesday, May 19, ambassadors of the 27-country bloc approved a European Commission proposal to allow fully vaccinated travellers into the E.U.
We welcome the @EUCouncil agreement on updating the approach to travel from outside the EU.\n\nThe Council now recommends that EU countries ease some of the current restrictions, in particular for those vaccinated with an authorised vaccine.\n\n@ChristianWigand \u2193pic.twitter.com/hCVKxe2Pw2— European Commission \ud83c\uddea\ud83c\uddfa (@European Commission \ud83c\uddea\ud83c\uddfa) 1621423882
European Commission spokesperson Christian Wigand confirmed that ambassadors had "agreed to update the approach to travel from outside the European Union."
The European Council now "recommends that member states ease some restrictions, in particular for those vaccinated with an E.U.-authorized vaccine," Wigand added.
Pending final approval, the official border reopening could take just days to implement, according to reports. A full proposal is expected as early as Friday, May 21.
Following this news, Canada's largest airlines called on the federal government to restart international travel to and from Canada ASAP.
- Travel To Europe Could Be Allowed This Summer For Fully ... ›
- EU Safe Travel List: Canada Was Kicked Off But Some Places Will ... ›
- EU Has Reopened To Canadians But It’s Still Complicated To Visit - Narcity ›
- EU Travel Restrictions For Canada Should Be Lifted Says Panel - Narcity ›
- Covishield Vaccined Canadians May Be Ineligible For EU Travel - Narcity ›