Trudeau Confirms 'With A Heavy Heart' That 2 Canadians Were Killed In The Beirut Explosion
"We are mourning with you and we are keeping you in our thoughts."
Facing multiple crises all at once is part of leading a country. For Justin Trudeau, that means acknowledging both a pandemic and the recent Beirut explosion. He confirmed that two Canadians were killed in the blast.
In an August 14 tweet, the Prime Minister wrote, "It is with a heavy heart that I can confirm two Canadians lost their lives in last week’s tragic explosion in Lebanon. To their families and friends, know that we are here for you - we are mourning with you and we are keeping you in our thoughts."
He also released a longer statement in which he and his wife Sophie Gregoire-Trudeau offered their condolences to the families of the victims.
"Our thoughts remain with those Canadians injured or missing in Lebanon, and with Lebanese-Canadian communities worried about their loved ones, as the search continues," the Prime Minister said.
The identities of those who died were not revealed by the Prime Minister. However, a report from CTV News confirms that one of them was a three-year-old girl named Alexandra Naggear.
Paul Naggear, the girl's father, told CTV that he wants an international investigation into exactly what happened.
Trudeau said that the country's first priority will be ensuring that Canadians and their family members who are in Lebanon can get the consular assistance they need.
He also noted that Canada will be creating a task force to help deliver any necessary services.
Lebanese citizens who are temporarily in Canada will also be allowed to extend their stays if they are unable to return to their homes due to the explosion.
The country hasin support of humanitarian efforts, as well as an additional $1.5 million going directly to trusted organizations like the Lebanese Red Cross.
The Government is alsoup to $5 million.
Trudeau had made previous statements about, saying that the two countries have a "deep and longstanding friendship."