After leaving the country for a vacation on December 13, Ontario's Finance Minister Rod Phillips says that he would've reconsidered his plans had he known a province-wide shutdown was coming.*
The Minister of Finance's Office provided his statement in an email to Narcity.
Had I been aware then of the eventual December 26th Province-wide shutdown, we would have canceled the trip.
Hon. Rod Phillips
"Immediately following the end of the Legislative Session, which occurred on December 8th, my wife and I departed on a previously planned personal trip outside of the country," Phillips wrote in the statement.
"I have continued my work daily as the Minister of Finance and MPP for Ajax including dozens of digital Ministry, constituency and cabinet committee calls and meetings."
His statement did not specify the destination of his trip, but his office confirmed that he remains out of the country as of Tuesday.*
Phillips says he and his wife will "continue to observe public health directives," such as Canada's mandatory 14-day quarantine for international travellers.
The entire province of Ontario went into a shutdown starting on December 26 which prohibits any non-essential travel.
Earlier today, Ontario MPP Randy Hillier found himself in hot water after posting a group photo of himself with over a dozen people celebrating Christmas in defiance of Ontario's gathering limits.
*This article has been updated.