Ontario is making moves to support those affected by the tragedy in Beirut. Doug Ford announced on Tuesday that the province is pledging $2 million to relief efforts, which will be donated to the Canadian Red Cross in Lebanon. Since the Beirut explosion, Canada has committed around $30 million to aid in the disaster.
Now, Ontario is also stepping up. According to a news release, it will be the biggest donation the provincial government has ever made toward an international relief fund.
"My heart breaks for the victims and the families affected by this terrible tragedy in Beirut," said Premier Ford.
"To support immediate relief efforts, we are providing the Canadian Red Cross with significant financial support so they can assist the people and communities in most urgent need."
Since the explosion on August 4, the Canadian Red Cross has been sending essentials such as food, water, gloves and masks to those affected, along with emergency medical assistance.
They are also performing search and rescue missions, as well as transporting victims to hospitals.
So far, over 200 people have been killed in the incident, which has left more than 300,000 homeless.
The number of victims are expected to rise as the search continues.
My heart breaks for the victims and families affected by the terrible tragedy in Beirut. On behalf of our governmen… https://t.co/0vpXK7miaJ— Doug Ford (@Doug Ford)1597152598.0
According to the Government of Canada, over 6,000 people have been injured so far, and counting.
"The funding announced today will go a long way to assist with the immediate needs of the individuals and families affected by the explosion, and as they begin their road to recovery," said Conrad Sauvé, President and CEO of the Canadian Red Cross.
A relief fund has been set up by the Lebanse Canadian Coalition in partnership with the Humanitarian Coalition.
So far, over $260,000 has been raised, which the Canadian government will match up to a total of $2 million.
Impacts of the #BeirutExplosion will be long-lasting. Donations made by Canadians to @Humcoalition + its members b… https://t.co/0q8rNejN5Q— Development Canada (@Development Canada)1596899120.0
The government will be chipping in to match every donation that comes in until the August 24, they announced.
Trudeau has said that Canadians "stand ready" to help and that Lebanon and Canada have a "deep and long-standing friendship."
The Government originally pledged to send $5 million in aid, but recently announced that they will be throwing in an extra $25 million.
The public has also been coming out to stand together with those in Lebanon.
An outpouring of support was seen in Toronto over the weekend at a vigil held in Nathan Phillips Square for those affected.
The Toronto sign was also dimmed in remembrance of the tragedy.