Housing Prices In Canada Could Drop By 25% In Early 2023 According To Experts & Here's Why
A "correction" is likely headed our way.
Places that are expected to see the sharpest drop in the cost of a home are in British Columbia and Ontario, as both saw some of the highest increases during the pandemic, the report stated.
Saskatchewan and Manitoba are likely to hold more steady during this period while provinces like Alberta, Quebec and Atlantic Canada will see something between the two.
The report is quick to point out that the incoming decline is more of a "correction" of the 46% increase that we saw during the pandemic, prompted by an explosion of homebuying brought on by work-from-home rules.
While it describes the drop as "unprecedented", it's also the result of a similarly unprecedented hike in prices.
The experts say that the reason this correction is coming is multi-faceted.
One of the factors is that they are expecting Bank of Canada interest hikes to continue, but not be as high as they have been.
This is something that will hopefully drive the cost of housing down, but not farther than the mere correction predicted.
The report also says that the housing prices won't go down farther than previously thought because of a likely dip in 5-year bond yields – the bonds that undergird 5-year mortgage rates — as the economy softens in the new year.
Of course, all of this might make you keener on buying yourself a new home in the coming months.
And, depending on your needs, you might be interested in finding out the best place to buy a house in Canada right now.
According to a real estate expert, the best place in Canada can really vary based on your wants, your needs, and local economic and developmental conditions.
This article's cover image was used for illustrative purposes only.
- A Ukrainian Refugee Shared His Thoughts About Housing Prices In ... ›
- Canada's Cheapest Housing Markets Have Been Revealed ... ›
- Canada Morning Brief: 8 Things You Need To Know For August 31 - Narcity ›
- What Canada's Housing Market Will Look Like In The Next 12 Months, According To An Expert - Narcity ›
- Here's How Much Money You Need To Earn To Afford A Home In Canada's Major Cities Right Now - Narcity ›
- Canada's Housing Costs Are Going Down But A Home In These Cities Will Still Bleed You Dry - Narcity ›
- BC Housing Prices Are Predicted To Drop Next Year & These Areas Will Get Much Cheaper - Narcity ›
- Ontario Housing Prices Have Dropped A Ton In These Cities & The Term 'Crash' Is Being Used - Narcity ›
- People In Vancouver Are Sharing How Much Food Items Cost Now & Cauliflower Is 'Outrageous' - Narcity ›
- These Are The Most Affordable Cities To Buy A Home In Canada & Some Are Getting Even Cheaper - Narcity ›