Boxing Day marks the beginning of the Ontario-wide shutdown, which will remain in place for a minimum of 14 days in northern Ontario and 28 days in southern Ontario.

Despite widespread closures, Premier Ford says that Ontarians are permitted to spend time at their cottages, so long as they don't stop in the surrounding towns.

Editor's Choice: These Countries Are The Last In The World Without A Single COVID-19 Case

Take your supplies. Go there. Do not — I repeat — do not go into town. Premier Doug Ford

The premier says that those who wish to stay in an isolated area in their second homes are fine to do so.

"You aren't going to leave it. The rules still apply up there," he clarified.

"We just don't want people going to stores [in town] every two hours," he said.

According to the province's shutdown document, all non-essential travel must be avoided, including trips outside of your region of residence.

Even to those who don't have a cottage, though, Ford asks that you "do your best to hunker down."

As Premier Doug Ford continues to urge residents to get vaccinated so Ontario can finally move out of step three of the provincial reopening plan, his daughter Krista Ford Haynes has taken to her Instagram account to share her thoughts on COVID-19 vaccines.

"This is what I got in the mail today, so I'm going to read it to y'all," Premier Ford's eldest daughter said in the video before she flashed the informational COVID-19 flyer to the camera.

Keep Reading Show less

Ontario is set to enter the final phase of its three-step reopening plan on July 21, but what happens beyond step three is still TBD.

Premier Doug Ford was asked about the province's plans during a news conference on Monday, and he said that the details will be unveiled over the next few weeks.

Keep Reading Show less

An Ontario pub isn't taking Doug Ford's decision to keep restaurants closed lightly — in fact, it's sending him a bill.

The Nelson Street Pub, located in Pembroke, Ontario, called on the provincial government to reopen patios while revealing an invoice addressed to the premier.

Keep Reading Show less

Ontario Doctors Are Slamming Ford's COVID-19 Restrictions & Say More Needs To Be Done

Doctors are saying restrictions are "deliberately harmful" and "criminal."

Ontario doctors are now challenging the Ford government's latest stay-at-home orders.

Last week, Doug Ford announced that the stay-at-home order would be extended for an additional two weeks, and more restrictions, such as increased enforcement and the shuttering of golf courses would be put in place. 

Keep Reading Show less