Sign in
EN - News

Ford Says He 'Can't Get Angry' At Owner Who Opened His Toronto Restaurant To The Public

"I'm not going to get up here and start pounding a small business owner."

A visibly frustrated Doug Ford is begging small business owners to shut their restaurants down and follow provincial health guidelines.

Ford was asked about Etobicoke's Adamson Barbecue, a restaurant that purposefully went against the provincial guidelines and opened for dine-in eating on Tuesday.

Premier Ford said that he couldn't be upset with small business owners trying to make ends meet, but that they needed to shut down for health and safety reasons.

Editor's Choice: An Etobicoke Restaurant Is Ignoring Ford's Orders & Opening Today For Dine-In (VIDEO)

I can't get angry at any business person, they're hurting right now and they're struggling. Premier Ford

"Please, you have to follow the protocols and the guidelines because if everyone does what he does ... you're going to be asking me another question when we hit 2,000, 3,000 cases a day," Ford told reporters at a press conference on Tuesday.

Toronto Police and City Bylaw Enforcement Officials have shown up to Adamson Barbecue, which is letting people eat inside in direct contradiction to provincial rules.

But as of yet, no charges have been publicly laid. 

Regardless of what happens at the restaurant, Ford says there's a big difference between people partying in their homes and people trying to eat at a local business.

"When it comes to private parties, that's a different ball of wax there," Ford said. "I don't condone that he opened up, but I feel terrible. My heart breaks for these guys and it's not fair.

"But I just want the guy to shut down," Ford sighed.

Stay Informed
Get Toronto's latest and greatest stories every day straight to your inbox.

If Toronto has an abundance of one thing, it's good restaurants, and the city just got seven more spots for you to try on your next night out.

So if you are feeling a little sick of your tried and true go-to restaurant, you might want to branch out to one of these seven new options that have just opened or are about to open in the city.

Keep Reading Show less

As Premier Doug Ford continues to urge residents to get vaccinated so Ontario can finally move out of step three of the provincial reopening plan, his daughter Krista Ford Haynes has taken to her Instagram account to share her thoughts on COVID-19 vaccines.

"This is what I got in the mail today, so I'm going to read it to y'all," Premier Ford's eldest daughter said in the video before she flashed the informational COVID-19 flyer to the camera.

Keep Reading Show less

This article contains graphic content that might not be suitable for some readers.

The Oakwood Hardware is one of the latest Toronto restaurants to come out with a statement on vaccination statuses for indoor dining.

Keep Reading Show less

The Ontario Government implemented paid sick days for workers affected by COVID-19 in late April this year, and so far, $14.1 million worth of claims have been made.

The top three cities to cash in on sick days have been Mississauga, Toronto and Scarborough, and the leading industries for claims so far are manufacturing, construction and retail, according to government statistics released on July 16.

Keep Reading Show less