EN - News

Ford Reportedly States More Ontario Students Will Be Returning To School Next Week

But schools in hotspot areas will reportedly have to wait a bit longer.

More Ontario school closures are coming to an end next week, according to reports.

According to CityNews, Doug Ford told reporters on Wednesday that Ontario was going to reopen some schools on February 8 or February 10, with other schools in "hotspot areas" opening a week later.

Editor's Choice: York Public Health Says People Are Catching The U.K. Variant On Two-Minute Shopping Trips

It is going to be either the 8th or the 10th and then one week later for another group. Doug Ford, according to CityNews

Doug Ford reportedly made the comments at a photo opportunity at Toronto Pearson Airport on Wednesday afternoon.

The province had previously said that schools in Windsor, York, Toronto, Peel and Hamilton would be closed until February 10.

Stephen Lecce, Ontario's minister of education, is expected to make a formal announcement and confirm the dates at 4 p.m. on Wednesday, February 3.

Approximately 280,000 students returned to in-person learning this past Monday after four more public health units were allowed to have students back in school.

Lecce told reporters last week that the province was increasing safety protocols in schools.

And he announced this Monday that schools in Ontario can start to hire teaching students in case of staff shortages.