Ford Says Thanksgiving Is Still On As Long As You Keep Your Gathering Small
The holidays are approaching, and for Ontario families, celebration plans are up in the air. According to Premier Ford, though, Thanksgiving in Ontario is still on. You just have to keep your guest list small.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau suggested Thanksgiving might be off the table this year during his throne speech on Wednesday.
“It’s all too likely we won’t be gathering for Thanksgiving, but we still have a shot at Christmas,” the PM said.
On Thursday, Ford reassured Ontarians that families can still get together for Thanksgiving as long as they follow the current gathering limits.
“Thanksgiving is a great time to get together with your family and your loved ones," he said during his press briefing.
"We’re just asking people to follow the protocols — keep it ten people and under. Those are the new guidelines."
He also spoke on Christmas. “Christmas is always a big day in the Ford household," he began.
"We’re going to do everything we can to make sure everyone has a great Christmas because nothing is more important than family and loved ones getting together."
"In saying that, we gotta keep it under ten."
Up until last week, indoor gatherings were limited at 50 people.
Now, those limits have been lowered to 10 people indoors and 25 people outdoors in Toronto, Peel and Ottawa.
Ontario has seen a significant increase in COVID-19 cases since the beginning of September.
According to CBC, the average number of new cases each day has increased by 50% over just three weeks.
This has prompted officials to suggest that we are experiencing a second wave.
According to current data, there are currently 6,610 active cases in Ontario.