Sign in
EN - News

A Vancouver Cat Hotel Went Up In Smoke This Morning & Fire Crews Saved Them All

The massive fire has devastated local businesses.
Fire In Vancouver: A Cat Hotel Went Up In Smoke & Crews Rescued All The Cute Guests

Crews made an adorable rescue at a three-alarm fire in Vancouver that tore through multiple businesses in Cambie Village in the early hours of Thursday, October 15.

Jonathan Gormick with Vancouver Fire Rescue Services said to Narcity that crews were first called in at 2 a.m. to the 4000 block of Cambie Street.

"The remaining fire is under control," he confirmed, but he expects crews will be there all day, "we're just knocking down hot spots," he said.

Editor's Choice: Alberta Just Got Warned To Brace For A Gruesome 'Winter Storm' With 25cm Of Snow By Friday

Rania Hatz, Executive Director of the Cambie Village Business Association, spoke with Narcity and confirmed that Purrfect Cat Boarding was one of the places affected by the fire.

"The Vancouver Fire Department got above the stairs above Ton Ton Sushi and rescued all of the cats," she said.

While that building was not on fire, neighbouring structures were, and Purrfect Cat Boarding told Narcity that all the cats were safe with them.*

Thankfully, due to fewer people travelling, the cat hotel wasn't fully occupied and Hatz said that "there were less than a half dozen cats in there this morning," and they were all saved.

The cat hotel is relatively new and Hatz said that insurance will never cover all of their investments they've put into the place, "[...]that expense is never paid back, it would be a huge devastating loss."

*This story has been updated.

Stay Informed
Get Vancouver's latest and greatest stories every day straight to your inbox.

London fire crews are reminding residents to never leave their candles unattended following a nasty structure fire.

According to the London Fire Department, emergency crews had to deal with a fire on Stratton Drive on Monday morning after the owner left their candles unattended.

Keep Reading Show less

An Ontario Walmart was set on fire last night for the second time in under a year in an act of arson that has resulted in charges.

According to Waterloo Regional Police, officers responded to an incident of a garbage bin that was set on fire outside a store in the Sunrise Shopping Centre at 1400 Ottawa St. S. at around 9 p.m. on Thursday. They were then called to another fire that had been started inside a business in the shopping centre.

Keep Reading Show less

If you were looking to take the QEW in Burlington this morning, you may want to re-think your route.

A truck loaded with batteries caught on fire early this morning and was reported by the OPP's Highway Safety Division at 3:37 a.m. to have caused road closures.

Keep Reading Show less

A recent trip gone awry by a group of 30 paddleboarders in Vancouver is a great reminder to always double-check the weather before leaving land.

Seventeen of the paddleboarders needed rescuing after strong winds and surf pushed them astray near Lions Gate Bridge on Monday, September 6, according to a news release from the Vancouver Police Department.

Keep Reading Show less