School is back in session. Multiple positive cases of COVID-19 have been reported in at least three school boards across the province so far. Announcements of COVID-19 in Ontario schools comes during the first week of class for some.  

As students get ready to head back to class, some school boards are already reporting positive cases, including the Peel District School Board (PDSB), the Conseil des Ecoles Catholiques Centre-Est (CECCE) in Ottawa, and the Waterloo Regional School Board (WRSB). 

The Toronto District School Board (TDSB) had a possible case, which has been confirmed to not have been contagious at the time, although the person has tested positive. 

Schools in Ottawa had the biggest issue, with five separate cases so far, Ottawa Public Health (OPH) revealed to Narcity in an email statement.

The schools in question were "Sainte Anne, Saint Francois d’Assise, Roger Saint Denis, Laurier-Carriere and Franco-Ouest," wrote OPH.

"No outbreaks have been declared at this time," they confirmed.

WRSB also announced that someone at Edna Staebler Public School had been in the building on September 3 before testing positive.

Two cases in separate buildings have also been recorded in Peel Region.

Last week, a Brampton teacher who tested positive had been inside Ross Drive Public School while setting up for classes.

However, it was reported that the teacher had followed physical distancing rules and was wearing a mask, and the school had undergone two deep cleans on August 17 and again on September 2.

The second case in Peel District School Board was at their North Field Office, where an employee had been working in the building up until August 28.

The office is remaining open after undergoing a cleaning. 

Briarwood Public School in Mississauga has also been confirmed to have a positive case, according to a news release.

It states that the person had been in the school on September 1, but the identity of the individual has been protected.

"Our school has been cleaned several times since Sept. 1 as part of our regular daily cleaning procedures. Another cleaning will be done as an added COVID-19 prevention effort and the building will be ready for the start of school," says the statement.

The TDSB also had a possible positive case in their Westview Centennial high school.

However, the TDSB had confirmed to Narcity that the person was not contagious during the time that they were in the building.

"We have been informed by Toronto Public Health that, following an investigation, the possible case was not contagious while at school and there were no exposures to COVID-19 at Westview Centennial," wrote Ryan Bird, media relations. 

After deep cleans were performed, and no outbreaks documented, there have so far been no school closures.

Last week, Doug Ford said in a press conference that "there's gonna be outbreaks", but he also stated that "if it really starts taking off, I will not hesitate for a second to close these schools down."

Comments are now closed.
Account Settings
Notifications
Favourites
Share Feedback
Log Out

Register this device to receive push notifications