If you still don’t have a job even though provinces are reopening, more help could be on the way for you. The CERB extension is happening, and it will now last into the summer with added eligibility periods. Canadians can now claim the benefit for at least eight more weeks.
On June 16, Justin Trudeau announced that the CERB will continue to help out Canadians who have been unable to return to work.
Speaking to reporters, the PM confirmed that the benefit's duration will be increased by eight more weeks, to ensure that those who need help will be able to get it.
If you’ve been getting money from the CERB but you're reaching the end of the four-month cut-off, you’ll still be able to access the money.
“Even as we start to reopen, a lot of people still need this support to pay their bills while they look for work,” Trudeau explained.
He added that the government will continue to monitor the economy and the COVID-19 situation to see if any changes need to be made to the CERB in the future.
“We still have a long journey ahead,” he said.
Speaking in Ottawa, PM Justin Trudeau says the federal government will extend eligibility for the Canada Emergency… https://t.co/QvBwTByP3l— CPAC (@CPAC) 1592320500.0
Originally, the benefit allowed people to claim $2,000 per month for up to four months.
People who applied during the first four eligibility periods would reach the end of their benefits on July 4.
Now, an additional eight weeks of CERB is available to those who need it, taking the pressure off anybody who is still out of work due to the pandemic.
Kirsten from Hamilton is an EA for students with special needs Her school is closed & doesn’t qualify for the wage… https://t.co/P5BhE0Eecy— Jagmeet Singh (@Jagmeet Singh) 1591755578.0
This announcement comes just one day after the prime minister promised he was working on a solution to extend the monthly benefit.
Jagmeet Singh has been calling for this extension to happen for a while, and he previously urged Trudeau to lengthen the CERB by another four months.
The NDP leader even asked Canadians to text him if they believe that the benefit should be extended past July.
Conservative leader Andrew Scheer had previously asked the government to reduce the CERB to encourage Canadians to go back to work.
However, speaking on June 15, Trudeau said, "I want you to know that we will continue to be there for you and your family.”