As case numbers soar to new heights, Premier Doug Ford is reportedly considering stricter COVID-19 measures in Ontario.
Among the decisions under consideration is another state of emergency, reports CTV News, for what would be the second time during the pandemic, although an announcement isn't expected until Tuesday afternoon.
We worked all weekend [...] and we will make an announcement [on Tuesday]."
A state of emergency would allow Ford more powers to enforce new rules quickly across the province.
He would be given the authority to close businesses, cease all gatherings and events, and legally order residents to stay inside, the outlet claims.
Ford said last Friday that Ontario is in the most challenging phase of the pandemic so far, and Tuesday's modelling data will come as a shock.
"The modelling is a wake-up call," Ford said. "When you see the modelling, you'll fall off your chair."
The data is expected to show that Ontario could see up to 6,000 cases a day by the end of January if further measures aren't taken.