Sign in
EN - News

Ford Moves Ontario Schools Online Just One Day After Education Minister Says They're Safe

If you're confused by the province's messaging, you're not alone.

On Monday, Ford's government announced that all Ontario schools would move to remote learning after April break.

This announcement came only one day after Education Minister Stephen Lecce claimed that schools were safe and would remain open.

Editor's Choice: Two Men Went On A Disgusting Poop Rampage At A Tim Hortons In BC

As per Monday's announcement, all elementary and secondary schools in the province will move to remote learning when students return from the April break on April 19, 2021.

"Bringing our kids back to a congregate setting in schools, after a week off in the community, is a risk that I won't take," said Premier Ford.

As of April 12, almost 27% of schools in Ontario are reporting COVID-19 cases.

Stephen Lecce assured Ontarians schools are safe

On Sunday, April 11, Stephen Lecce posted an open letter to his social media, assuring Ontarians that schools remain safe.

Lecce listed precautions being taken by schools, including screening, enhanced cleaning measures, asymptomatic testing, additional COVID-19 training sessions and the directive to hold classes outdoor when possible.

He encouraged staff and students to take part in asymptomatic testing during April break before heading back to class.

Just over 24 hours later, Doug Ford announced that, due to an increase in cases and hospitalizations across Ontario, schools would move to remote learning after April break.

Stay Informed
Get Ottawa's latest and greatest stories every day straight to your inbox.

COVID-19 Cases In Toronto Schools Are Already Being Reported Across The City

"We're carefully investigating and following our process."

COVID-19 cases in Toronto schools are being reported citywide this week with several ongoing investigations underway.

According to Toronto Public Health, cases have so far been confirmed in the following schools, Fraser Mustard, St-Michel French Catholic Elementary and West Hill Collegiate.

Keep Reading Show less

As Premier Doug Ford continues to urge residents to get vaccinated so Ontario can finally move out of step three of the provincial reopening plan, his daughter Krista Ford Haynes has taken to her Instagram account to share her thoughts on COVID-19 vaccines.

"This is what I got in the mail today, so I'm going to read it to y'all," Premier Ford's eldest daughter said in the video before she flashed the informational COVID-19 flyer to the camera.

Keep Reading Show less

Ontario is set to enter the final phase of its three-step reopening plan on July 21, but what happens beyond step three is still TBD.

Premier Doug Ford was asked about the province's plans during a news conference on Monday, and he said that the details will be unveiled over the next few weeks.

Keep Reading Show less

An Ontario pub isn't taking Doug Ford's decision to keep restaurants closed lightly — in fact, it's sending him a bill.

The Nelson Street Pub, located in Pembroke, Ontario, called on the provincial government to reopen patios while revealing an invoice addressed to the premier.

Keep Reading Show less