Sign in
EN - News

40-Person BBQ In Ottawa Forces Over 100 People To Go Into Quarantine

It led to two separate outbreaks and many confirmed cases.
40-Person BBQ In Ottawa Forces Over 100 People To Go Into Quarantine

A single gathering can have far-reaching consequences. That’s the lesson learned after a giant BBQ in an Ottawa park led to over 100 high-risk contacts who had to self isolate and get tested.

A chart shared by Ottawa Public Health traced the transmission following the BBQ.

Editor's Choice: Statistics Canada Is Hiring Across The Country & You Just Need To Know How To Use A Mouse

“A 40-person BBQ in a park led to 105 high-risk contacts in schools who had to self-isolate for 14 days & be tested," wrote the public health unit.

According to Global News, two people tested positive for COVID-19 in the days following the gathering.

"Parents had to miss work, kids had to miss school & 105 more people in line for testing. All from a BBQ.”

“It really had a significant impact in terms of two workplace outbreaks,” said Medical Officer of Health, Dr. Vera Etches.

The first workplace was a childcare centre, where transmission was seen amongst staff.

Then, two children from that centre rode school buses to two different schools, which led to further exposure.

The chart shows a total of 33 confirmed cases resulting from the BBQ.

Earlier this month, a similar example was shared by Etches, which showed a 10-person cottage party leading to 40 confirmed cases of COVID-19 over the course of nine days.

Ottawa Public Health would like to remind people that "our actions matter" and to make responsible choices.

New gathering restrictions imposed by Premier Doug Ford would now ensure that this gathering would've been illegal.

Last weekend, Ford announced that he was reducing the number of people who could legally gather in an uncontrolled setting to 25 people outdoors and 10 people indoors.

And no — that doesn't mean you can have 35 people over.

Stay Informed
Get Ottawa's latest and greatest stories every day straight to your inbox.

COVID-19 Cases In Toronto Schools Are Already Being Reported Across The City

"We're carefully investigating and following our process."

COVID-19 cases in Toronto schools are being reported citywide this week with several ongoing investigations underway.

According to Toronto Public Health, cases have so far been confirmed in the following schools, Fraser Mustard, St-Michel French Catholic Elementary and West Hill Collegiate.

Keep Reading Show less

Here's Where You Can Spend Those Remaining Dollars In Your Wellness Fund This Year

Put it towards sports gear, fitness trackers, yoga classes and more.

Narcity may receive a small commission if you purchase something we recommend in this article, which was created by the Narcity Shop team. Items are in stock and prices are confirmed at the time of publishing, but they can change at any time.

If you work at a company that offers an annual wellness fund, then you should seriously take advantage of it. Usually, you can use it for a gym membership or exercise equipment. Sometimes, you can even use it on things like supplements, fitness trackers or even shoes.

Keep Reading Show less

If you're one of the many post-secondary students returning to in-person learning this fall, it might be time to check out some Ontario scholarships.

Don't worry, you don't have to be a genius to score educational funding, in fact, some of the smaller scholarships can be acquired by filling out a survey.

Keep Reading Show less

Officials have revealed Alberta's back-to-school plan for the fall of 2021. Speaking at a press conference on Friday, August 13 Dr. Deena Hinshaw and Minister Adriana LaGrange shared an overview with the public.

Hinshaw said that things like staying home when sick and hygiene practices will be in place. However, "masking will not be universally required in schools across the province but may be recommended as one of several temporary interventions for respiratory outbreaks in general."

Keep Reading Show less