“This includes those entering from northern and Western Canada, and from west of Terrace Bay in Ontario, which under previous health orders did not require self-isolation,” reads the notice.
The new restrictions will apply to visitors to the region, as well as residents of Manitoba.
Manitobans who are currently away from home will have until 11:59 p.m. on Thursday, January 28 to get back without being required to self-isolate.
Exemptions will still be provided to those travelling for essential purposes, medical reasons or who must travel between borders for work.
Dr. Brent Roussin, the region’s chief provincial public health officer, said the restriction update aims to reduce the spread of COVID-19, including the new variants that have been found in other Canadian provinces.
“Let me be clear – Manitobans should not be traveling, either internationally, interprovincially or within our province except for essential reasons,” he said in the official statement.
According to the provincial government, failure to follow the rules is a violation under the Public Health Act and could result in hefty fines for people who are not compliant.
Get latest and greatest stories every day in your email inbox.
"We have committed to donating excess doses," Anand responded, before adding that Justin Trudeau and Health Minister Patty Hajdu had spoken on the issue previously.
She said Canada's leading officials are "on the same page in terms of the need to donate excess doses that Canadians aren't using," adding that the feds are "thinking of all of the options relating to any excess doses."