Ontario Extended Emergency Orders Until July 10 But Sports Can Start Again Now
Calling all sporty people! Ontario emergency orders extended once again into July but some restrictions have actually been eased at the same time. Now, both professional and amateur sports can start which includes training and competitions.
On June 27, the province announced that all emergency orders currently in place have been extended until July 10.
"These emergency orders will allow us to take action, if necessary, to ensure our continued success as we reopen our province and get more people back to work," said Premier Doug Ford in a news release.
That includes letting frontline healthcare providers redeploy staff members where they're needed the most.
Despite the extension, the government has removed restrictions that limited access to indoor sports and recreational fitness facilities as part of Stage 2.
Now those places are able to be used by amateur and professional athletes for training.
Some non-contact athletic competitions can also take place in those spots both by professionals and amateurs.
No matter what facilities are being used for, the government said that owners are only allowed to let activities resume in a way that meets public health requirements.
This change means that sports and recreational organizations in Ontario can once again offer training programs.
The government's announcement didn't mention gyms though.
GoodLife Fitness had previously revealed plans for gyms in Ontario to reopen in three stages at the end of June and beginning of July.
They hoped people in northern and eastern Ontario could get back to the gym on June 29.
Southwestern parts of the province, excluding Windsor, would see gyms open again on July 6.
Then that's followed by the GTA, Halton Region, the golden horseshoe and Windsor on July 13.
This is dependent on approval by the province, however. Once the spots are back up and running, appointments have to be made to work out.
Ontario's declaration of emergency was also extended earlier in the week and will be in place until July 15.
That lets the government make emergency orders or amend them as needed to protect the health and safety of people in the province.
It also gives the government time and flexibility to use tools to allow more reopenings and support healthcare workers.
A COVID-19 outbreak was declared at a nail salon in Kingston on June 25 just a few weeks into Stage 2.