The minister of education hopes to bring sports and clubs back this September.
On Thursday, it was announced that Ontario is set to release its full back-to-school plan in July with an aim for in-person learning.
Stephen Lecce, Ontario's minister of education, announced in a press conference that, "increasing vaccine rates and decreasing case counts in communities is very promising in our broader vision to restore a more normal September."
Lecce said he had recently spoken with Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. David Williams and Dr. Kieran Moore, who will soon be taking the role over to reaffirm the timeline of July with hopes for in-person learning in September.
"They believe in July we will be able to provide that final guidance with the aim of a more normal, more positive and more interactive school experience for children that is fully in class, where we believe children belong."
Lecce said that they will continue to encourage children 12 and up to get a vaccine and reaffirmed that Ontario does have a plan to get education staff and students who are eligible and willing to receive their second dose by August ahead of the school year.
"I've always said the chief medical officer of health, in July, is going to make an assessment of our COVID vaccine rates for students and staff, as well as the broader public health indicators, where the COVID case numbers are, and the trajectory we're on. That was the plan for last year. It's what we're doing this year," said Lecce.
On top of this, Lecce also revealed that the government is aiming to bring back clubs and sports by September as well.
"Our commitment as a government is to get students back in a more normal and stable learning environment. Which includes being in class, for high school kids, all day. That includes, obviously, the reinstatement of clubs and sports and physical education."
Health Canada has a robust website with all the latest information on the vaccine and can answer any questions you may have. Click here for more information.