Search on Narcity

Trudeau Says The Habs Have ‘A Lot Of Explaining To Do’ After A Controversial Draft Pick

The Montreal Canadiens recently drafted a player charged for sharing non-consensual intimate images.

Trudeau Says The Habs Have 'A Lot Of Explaining To Do' After ...

On July 23, the Montreal Canadiens made the decision to draft Logan Mailloux, a player who had actually asked not to be drafted this year.

This article contains graphic content that might not be suitable for some readers.

Mailloux had been changed for non-consensually distributing an intimate image of a young woman in Sweden in 2020. Regardless, the 18-year-old player was selected as the Habs' first draft pick.

The NHL team released a statement on the matter, saying that "The Canadiens are aware of the situation and by no means minimize the severity of Logan's actions."

The statement continued to say "we are making a commitment to accompany Logan on his journey by providing him with the tools to mature and the necessary support to guide him in his development."

Justin Trudeau was asked about the draft pick in a press conference on Tuesday, July 27. "As a lifelong Habs fan, I have to say I am deeply disappointed by the decision," the prime minister said.

"I think it was a lack of judgement by the Canadiens organization. I think they have a lot of explaining to do to Montrealers and to fans from right across the country."

If you or someone you know has been the victim of sexual assault, call the Assaulted Women's Helpline at 1-866-863-0511. You can also contact the Support Services for Male Survivors of Sexual Assault at 1-866-887-0015.

Recommended For You

Loading...