Netflix Canada Subscriptions Will Officially Cost More Soon Because Of A New Tax Law
The new fee comes into effect on Canada Day.
If you (or your parents) have a subscription for Netflix Canada, a tax charge will be added to your bill soon that will make it even more expensive.
Netflix has sent out email notices to subscribers to let them know that because of a change in Canada's tax law, federal GST/HST will be added to the cost of memberships.
Anyone who has a subscription to the streaming service in the country will see this new charge on their next bill starting on or after July 1, 2021.
Since the GST/HST rate varies by province, the exact cost of the fee will depend on where you live.
Back in November 2020, the federal government announced a plan to tax digital services like Netflix that would have consumers paying more as a result. It's expected that the tax could bring in $1 billion over the next five years in Canada.
- Studio Ghibli Movies Are Arriving On Netflix Canada This Week ... ›
- Netflix Party Add-On Lets You & Your Friends Watch Netflix Canada ... ›
- Canada's 2021 Budget Could Make These Items More Expensive - Narcity ›
- 'Sexy Beasts' On Netflix Is A New Dating Show & It's Truly Wild - Narcity ›
- Netflix Hinted At Ads & A Password-Sharing Crackdown After Revealing It Lost Subscribers - Narcity ›
- Netflix Just Revealed Its Cheaper 'Basic With Ads' Plan & Here's How It'll Work - Narcity ›