Sign in
EN - News

Ontario Doctors Are Slamming Ford's COVID-19 Restrictions & Say More Needs To Be Done

Doctors are saying restrictions are "deliberately harmful" and "criminal."

Ontario doctors are now challenging the Ford government's latest stay-at-home orders.

Last week, Doug Ford announced that the stay-at-home order would be extended for an additional two weeks, and more restrictions, such as increased enforcement and the shuttering of golf courses would be put in place. 

Editor's Choice: Parts Of Ontario Will Be Blasted By 35 cm Of Snow Today As A Brutal Winter Storm Hits

Dr. Carolyn Snider, Chief of Emergency Medicine at St. Michael's Hospital, took to Twitter to call the restrictions "deliberately harmful."

"I can't write anything tonight that will reflect the despair I feel about Ford Nation's gross mismanagement of this pandemic," Snider tweeted.

"I saw such clear systemic racism affecting our patients, vaccine shortages, outbreaks in shelters... I just can't. I am too angry."

Other doctors have also been speaking out

Michael Warner, medical director of critical care at Michael Garron Hospital, tweeted that "the restrictions announced by @ongov [...] are not sufficient to protect those who are actually getting sick."

Andrew Morris, a professor of medicine at U of T, also weighed in on the issue, criticizing Ford for failing to support essential workers and calling the restrictions "criminal." 

Dr. Lisa Salamon-Switzman followed, stating that, "my heart sank after listening to @fordnation announcement yesterday. He did nothing to protect #EssentialWorkers. Instead he caused fear."

What more can be done? 

In an interview with CBC, Dr. Snider claimed that the government should have never opened businesses before the third wave.

She also stated that paid sick leave is also something that residents need. 

On top of this, Kashif Pirzada, an emergency physician in Toronto, stated that some other steps that could have been taken were closing unsafe workplaces and requiring rapid tests to screen workers three times a week. 

As Premier Doug Ford continues to urge residents to get vaccinated so Ontario can finally move out of step three of the provincial reopening plan, his daughter Krista Ford Haynes has taken to her Instagram account to share her thoughts on COVID-19 vaccines.

"This is what I got in the mail today, so I'm going to read it to y'all," Premier Ford's eldest daughter said in the video before she flashed the informational COVID-19 flyer to the camera.

Keep Reading Show less

Ontario is set to enter the final phase of its three-step reopening plan on July 21, but what happens beyond step three is still TBD.

Premier Doug Ford was asked about the province's plans during a news conference on Monday, and he said that the details will be unveiled over the next few weeks.

Keep Reading Show less
Wellesenterprises | Dreamstime

The wait is over – Ontario's border restrictions with Manitoba and Quebec will be ending this Wednesday.

Solicitor General Sylvia Jones said in a statement that the announcement comes after, "the province's successful transition to Step One of Roadmap to Reopen, and with the approval of the Chief Medical Officer of Health."

Keep Reading Show less

An Ontario pub isn't taking Doug Ford's decision to keep restaurants closed lightly — in fact, it's sending him a bill.

The Nelson Street Pub, located in Pembroke, Ontario, called on the provincial government to reopen patios while revealing an invoice addressed to the premier.

Keep Reading Show less