Sign in
EN - News

Porter Has Officially Postponed All Flights Until Next Year ... At Least

It's due to rising COVID-19 cases. ✈️
Porter Airlines Has Now Postponed All Flights Until February Next Year

If you were hoping to take a vacation this Christmas, you may have to think again. Porter Airlines has updated its planned restart date — and it’s not until 2021.

In a statement shared on November 9, the Toronto-based company confirmed that their planes would not be taking off again until February next year.

The airline explained that rising COVID-19 cases and ongoing travel restrictions continue to have a significant impact on customer demand.

Editor's Choice: The Federal Government Says It Will Bailout Airlines As Long As Passengers Get Refunds

February 11 The updated restart date

The airline temporarily suspended operations back in March and has not operated at capacity since.

The company’s president, Michael Deluce, said the chances of returning to “sustainable levels” of passenger traffic before the end of 2020 is “highly unlikely.”

A day earlier, the federal government acknowledged that the industry is suffering as a result of the pandemic and said a “package of assistance” is being developed.

However, the government says it won’t bailout Canada's airlines until all eligible passengers get refunds for flights cancelled due to COVID-19.

WestJet has already started offering ticket refunds, but the company estimates it could take months for all passengers to be reimbursed.

Stay Informed
Get Toronto's latest and greatest stories every day straight to your inbox.

Doug Ford announced last week that enforcement will be ramping up under Ontario's stay-at-home order

Focusing mostly on public gatherings, officers will be issuing tickets to people who aren't following the rules.

Keep Reading Show less

If you have federal student loans in Canada, help could be on the way because the government has proposed a bunch of ways it plans to assist students.

Minister of Finance Chrystia Freeland released Canada's 2021 budget which includes a $4.1 billion investment to help make post-secondary education more affordable and to support students who have the greatest needs.

Keep Reading Show less

Doug Ford Is Now Reversing Some Aspects Of Ontario’s Stay-At-Home Order

Playgrounds can reopen and police will no longer be able to stop people at random.👇

Just days after details about Ontario’s latest stay-at-home order were announced, the provincial government is walking back some of its restrictions.

By Sunday, April 18, the government had revealed it would be reversing some aspects of the restrictions on outdoor spaces and altering the newly announced policing powers.

Keep Reading Show less

On Friday, April 16, Premier Doug Ford announced the extension of Ontario's stay-at-home order for an additional two weeks, along with new measures to curb rising COVID-19 cases.

These new measures include the restriction of interprovincial travel in or out of Quebec and Manitoba, rules prohibiting the gathering of more than one household outdoors, limited capacities in big-box stores, increased enforcement and more.

Keep Reading Show less