This Is Not A Drill: Ontario Is Finally Starting Work On The Scarborough Subway Extension
The extension will have three new stations.
It's finally happening! The Ontario government officially began work on the Scarborough Subway Extension today, marking an important step in Canadian transit history and a breath of relief for future GTA commuters.
"For far too many decades, the people of Scarborough have waited for better transit. Today, our government is getting shovels in the ground and delivering on our election promise to bring fast, convenient subway service into Scarborough," Premier Doug Ford said.
The project, which was originally announced in 2019, is expected to "provide an estimated 38,000 people with walking distance access to rapid transit and see 105,000 daily boardings by 2041."
Beautiful day to break ground on @ScarbSubwayEXTpic.twitter.com/LoWt8JJtSg— Anne Marie Aikins (@Anne Marie Aikins) 1624468765
The project has been a long-time coming
According to the Toronto Star, one of the first vows of a Scarborough subway was back in 2010 by former Toronto mayor Rob Ford. Since then, commuters have been holding their breath for this day to come.
"I can't help but sit here and think of Rob, [who] promoted the Scarborough subway from the day he got elected in 2010," Ford acknowledged in the press conference on Wednesday.
When asked about the delays that have been faced for this subway extension over the years, the premier said "the only person that should be apologizing is the Liberal government that ignored us for years and the council."
"With 45 councillors, nothing could get done. The best gift, I always say to Mayor Tory, was 25 councillors, you move things along, you get things done. So maybe the ones that aren't down at city council should be apologizing for all those years that they railroaded, excuse the pun, the transit subway."
"The people of Scarborough were the forgotten city for years," Ford continued. "Finally, they deserve a proper subway station."