Toronto Just Cancelled All Major Events & Festivals Until July
On Wednesday, Mayor John Tory announced that all major Toronto events are cancelled until July 2021.
This includes all of the large-scale in-person events that typically take place outdoors, including Canada Day festivals and fireworks, NXNE Music Festival and the Pride Parade.
These events "present higher public health risks given limits to physical distancing and exposure to attendees from outside of the area," says the City, which is why they cannot take place.
City officials have provided a long list of in-person events that will be impacted by these extended cancellations, like the Sporting Life 10k, Toronto Marathon and Ride for Heart.
The Trans March, Dyke March & Pride Parade, Juno Awards, and Canadian Music Week will be taking place virtually.
This news comes on the same day that the CNE announced that it's getting ready to open this summer after it was cancelled last year.
John Tory said on Wednesday that the City has not dealt with the period into August when the CNE typically takes place.
"I think it's too soon to predict the future about whether things are likely to happen in person or not," he said.
Tory also clarified that these cancellations don't include "permits issued by the City’s Parks, Forestry and Recreation division for activities in parks and other City facilities" that are allowed under Ontario's reopening framework.