John Tory Says Toronto Events Will Be Cancelled Up Until New Years
It looks like some of the city's favourite traditions won't be happening this year. Mayor John Tory announced on Wednesday that Toronto winter events would likely be held off until 2021. The announcement comes after the province has seen a sudden spike in COVID-19 cases.
It was reported earlier this week that the city's iconic Christmas Market would not be opening during the 2020 season.
The special holiday event, which draws large crowds annually, hasn't been cancelled since it was first launched back in 2009.
Now, it seems that more events are following. Tory noted that New Year's Eve in Nathan Philips Square, a popular celebration that draws tens of thousands each year, will also face the chopping block this year.
"People should count on the fact that it won't be happening because we just can't foresee a situation at the moment, even by then, where we could gather 30,000 people to watch fireworks and so forth," the mayor told CP24 on Wednesday morning.
Other events predicted to fall this year include the Royal Winter Fair, Remembrance Day ceremonies, and the Santa Claus Parade.
Nuit Blanche Toronto 2020 is going virtual. Reimagined for this time of #COVID19, #nbTO20 will deliver dynamic digi… https://t.co/obWHOHY0St— Nuit Blanche Toronto (@Nuit Blanche Toronto) 1594758927.0
Meanwhile, Nuit Blanche, Toronto's massive winter arts festival, will be hosted virtually this year.
"If we're saying to people that large crowd scenes are not good, large gatherings are not good, being in a crowded bar scene after midnight is not good, then it hardly stands to reason that we should be having big celebrations in Nathan Phillips Square and Nuit Blanche and all of those things," he added.
Yet, there are some events that are currently still running. DineOutTO and Asialicious are expected to run until October.*
The Ontario government recently reduced its social gathering limit to 10 people indoors and 25 outsides.
The new guidelines were put in place to battle an expected second wave of COVID-19.
However, the drastic restrictions will affect residents' Thanksgiving celebrations this year.
*This article has been updated.