It would reduce the standard workweek from 40 hours to 32 hours.
A U.S. democratic congressman has introduced legislation that would make four-day workweeks the norm and reduce the traditional working week from 40 hours to 32 hours.
In a press release issued on July 27, Congressman Mark Takano laid out the reasons for the proposed legislation, arguing that the change would "benefit both employers and employees alike."
Today, I introduced legislation to reduce the standard workweek from 40 hours to 32 hours because people are working longer hours while their pay remains stagnant.\n\nAt a time when the nature of work is rapidly changing, we must keep up.pic.twitter.com/fuWeIsPGkE— Mark Takano (@Mark Takano) 1627423414
"I am introducing this legislation to reduce the standard workweek to 32 hours because — now more than ever — people continue to work longer hours while their pay remains stagnant," he said. "We cannot continue to accept this as our reality."
Drawing on successful pilot programs across the globe, Takano said there had been "promising results, as productivity climbed and workers reported better work-life balance, less need to take sick days, heightened morale and lower childcare expenses because they had more time with their family and children."
He added that shorter workweeks have been shown to reduce healthcare premiums for employers, in addition to lowering operating costs and having a positive environmental impact.
The proposal would allow all eligible employees to receive overtime compensation for any time worked over 32 hours, allowing more people to access additional pay.
Will it pass?
California's proposed legislation must be reviewed by a committee, receive a majority vote in the House of Representatives and get approval from the Senate before it could pass. It remains to be seen what will happen next.
- 4-Day Workweek Is Being Tested All Over Canada & Here's How It's ... ›
- Spain's 4-Day Workweek Is Set To Begin In 2021 & Thousands Of ... ›
- 4-Day Work Week In Iceland Was 'An Overwhelming Success' - Narcity ›
- A 4-Day Workweek In Canada Could Happen As Around 50% Of Companies Say They’d Try It - Narcity ›
- A US Senator Demanded That Facebook Ban 'Finsta' Accounts & Even A Staffer Cringed - Narcity ›
- The UK Is Trying Out A 4-Day Workweek & So Many Companies Have Signed Up - Narcity ›
- This Canadian Company Is Testing Out A 4-Day Workweek To Get The 'Life/Work Balance' Back - Narcity ›
- The World's Biggest 4-Day Workweek Trial Just Launched In The UK & Here's How It Works - Narcity ›
- 4-Day Workweek Is Being Tested All Over Canada & Here's How It's Going - Narcity ›