A TikToker Says Most Americans Can't Understand When Canadians Say These Words (VIDEO)
It's apparently due to "Canadian raising" and "dipthong." 🇨🇦 🇺🇸
When it comes to the differences between Canada and the U.S., there are definitely quite a few of them but the way we understand words is probably not something that comes to mind.
"So let's talk about the Canadian accent — to clarify, the white Canadian accent," Zach said in a video that has over 55k likes.
"I learned about this in one of my English classes in university," he explained, saying that as a native "Canadian speaker," he never saw the difference as kid.
"We learned about diphthongs and Canadian raising," Zach continued. "And so the best example that my professor gave us to help us understand is just this kind of little activity."
He then said the word "writer" accompanied by a visual demonstration of him writing followed by saying the word "rider" and a visual of him pretending to ride a horse.
"So,writer,rider,rider, writer,writer,rider," he said, flipping between the two words which almost sound indistinguishable in his accent.
"MostAmericanpeoplewon'tbeabletotellthedifferencebetweenthosetwo," he explained.
The Canadian accent (Canadian Raising and Dipthong) #educationtiktok #evolution #linguistics
When someone asked a Canadian if he wanted to go for dinner, the Canadian responded with an enthusiastic "Oh yeah, no. Yeah, yeah, for sure, no. Yeah, no. No, yeah."
"Is that a yes or a no?" the question asker wondered
Seems like a pretty clear "yes," at least to this Canadian!
This article's cover image was used for illustrative purposes only.
- A Newcomer To Canada Asked For Tips To Survive Winter & He ... ›
- A TikToker Explained Why It's Hard To Understand Canadians ... ›
- This TikToker Explained A Canadian Stereotype That's Actually True ... ›
- This TikTok Shows How Canadians Deal With A 'Karen' & She Has Beef With Our 'Monopoly Money' - Narcity ›
- A TikToker Says They Can Tell If You're Canadian By How You Say One Word But Canucks Disagree - Narcity ›
- 6 Seriously Surprising Differences I Notice As A Canadian Travelling In The US - Narcity ›