Andre De Grasse Just Won Olympic Gold In The 200-m Final & He Was Faster Than Usain Bolt
This is Canada's first gold in the men's 200-metre race since 1928!
It's another gold medal for Canada! Olympian Andre De Grasse just won the men's 200-metre final and he ran faster than Usain Bolt.
Just before 9 a.m. ET on August 4, the sprinter managed to edge out two American runners to take first place on the podium with a time of 19.62 seconds, a personal best for De Grasse.
GOLD MEDAL FOR #TEAMCANADA \n\nAndre De Grasse sprints to 200m with a time of 19.62s \n\nThis is his second straight Olympic medal in the event, and his second medal of #Tokyo2020 \n\nRace into the details https://bit.ly/3xlP6Ir\u00a0pic.twitter.com/mapsjT7ba4— Team Canada (@Team Canada) 1628081920
De Grasse's time beat Bolt's gold medal-winning time of 19.78 seconds from the 2016 Rio Olympics. This is just the fourth time that Canada has medalled in the men's 200-metre, with two golds in 1908 and 1928, and silver in 2016, which De Grasse won.
After the race, he could be seen talking to his family over a video call with the Canadian flag draped over his back. "I can't believe it, oh my god, I did it," he said.
This is De Grasse's second medal at the Tokyo Olympics, after winning bronze in the men's 100-metre final, and his second straight Olympic medal in the 200-metre race. He has won Canada's fourth gold medal at the Tokyo Games.
- How To Watch Olympics 2021 In Canada With Or Without Cable ... ›
- Here's A List Of Team Canada's Olympic Medals So Far - Narcity ›
- Andre De Grasse Just Won Bronze In The Olympic 100 Metre Dash ... ›
- Andre De Grasse Just Won Gold & Ontario Is Losing It Right Now - Narcity ›
- Andre De Grasse Is So Close To Canada's All-Time Olympic Record - Narcity ›
- Andre De Grasse Says This Canadian Celeb Would Win A 100m Race Against Drake (VIDEO) - Narcity ›
- Olympian Andre De Grasse Shares His Biggest Life Lesson & What He Learned From Usain Bolt - Narcity ›