Trudeau Says ‘New Steps’ For Reopening The Canada-US Border Will Be Announced Within Weeks
The current non-essential travel ban is set to end on July 21.🇨🇦
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has dropped yet another hint that the Canada-U.S. border reopening could happen before the end of summer.
During an announcement in Sault Ste. Marie on July 5 — the same day travel restrictions began to relax for fully vaccinated Canadians — Trudeau said that "new steps" could be announced within just weeks.
"We're very hopeful that we're going to see new steps on reopening announced in the coming weeks," he told reporters, per CBC News.
He continued, "We're going to make sure that we're not seeing a resurgence of COVID-19 cases because nobody wants to go back to further restrictions after having done so much and sacrificed so much to get to this point."
It's not the first time Trudeau has indicated that changes to travel restrictions between the two countries are coming, saying on June 22 that "We're talking about weeks and not months anymore."
On July 2, the PM also broke down exactly what needs to happen before Canada's international borders can reopen, which includes ensuring that over 75% of the Canadian population are fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
The non-essential travel ban between Canada and the States is currently set to end on July 21, 2021.
- Canada-US Border Reopening: Everything We Know So Far - Narcity ›
- Reopening The Canada-US Border Was Discussed At G7 Summit ... ›
- Canada-US Border Reopening Depends On These Things, PM ... ›
- Reopening The Canada-US Border Too Early Is A ‘Particular Risk’ - Narcity ›
- Attempted US-Canada Border Crossing Via A Library Ends In Expulsion (VIDEO) - Narcity ›
- Reopen The Canada-US Border ASAP Say State Legislators - Narcity ›