But the data doesn't prove that fully vaxxed people are out of the woods yet.
More and more people are getting their COVID-19 vaccine every day, but just over 20% of eligible Canadians are still without a dose of the vaccine, according to a recent press conference from Justin Trudeau.
And data from the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) says that the vast majority of COVID-19 cases in Canada are appearing in unvaccinated people.
Update: As of July 12, 2021, the #GoC has delivered over 51 million doses of #Covid19 vaccines to provinces and territories. \nhttp://ow.ly/zXGK50FveVk\u00a0\n#VaccinesWorkpic.twitter.com/OLUAMOoih5— Health Canada and PHAC (@Health Canada and PHAC) 1626201303
As of June 21, 2021, PHAC estimates about 611,725 COVID-19 cases have been reported since the vaccine rollout began, and only 55,653 (9%) of cases came from people who had received one dose of the COVID-19 vaccine.
The agency also reports that 3,379 reported COVID-19 cases came from Canadians who had received both doses of their COVID-19 vaccine — a number that represents 0.6% of all reported cases since the vaccine rollout began.
Dr. Colin Furness, an infection control epidemiologist and assistant professor at the Faculty of Information at the University of Toronto, told Narcity via Zoom that people who are unvaccinated are at a much higher risk this time around.
Health Canada has a robust website with all the latest information on COVID-19 vaccines and can answer any questions you may have.
- What To Expect After A COVID-19 Vaccine? Canada Has Advice ... ›
- COVID-19 Cases In Canada: Yukon Is Leading The Country In Active Case Rates - Narcity ›
- Canada's COVID-19 Cases Are Being Led By Two Provinces - Narcity ›
- Some Unvaccinated Torontonians Would Get Vaxxed For Money Or A Paid Day Off - Narcity ›
- Someone Forged A Letter From Ontario Asking The Feds To Arrest The Unvaccinated - Narcity ›