Canada stepped up to help following the devastation of the deadly Beirut explosion. The government has now announced that the country will be doing even more. The initial amount of Canada's Lebanon aid money has now been multiplied by almost five.

In an August 10 news release, the Prime Minister's Office announced that an additional $25 million would be provided, on top of the already pledged $5 million.

The initial amount of aid money was donated to Lebanon the previous week, with an additional $1.5 million going directly to the Lebanese Red Cross. 

This money will be directed toward "humanitarian needs and support efforts for early recovery," according to the release.

The Government is also raising its amount for matched donations to $5 million from the initially announced $2 million

That could potentially lead to a further $10 million if the maximum threshold for matching is reached.

The government has said that the financial aid they are providing will support the need for emergency medical services, as well as food, shelter, and essential items following the deadly explosion.

Additional support from outside the government is coming from a coalition formed by Lebanese-Canadian business leaders, who are pledging to donate $2.5 million to relief efforts.

They have urged the government to match their donations as well.

"I join Canadians across the country to mourn those who were lost in last Tuesday's tragic explosion in Beirut, and to offer sincere condolences to their families and friends as they grieve this tragedy," Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said in a statement.

"I also encourage Canadians to donate to the Lebanon Matching Fund, and we will continue to match your generous donations. Together, we can support the people of Lebanon as they work to heal and rebuild."

Trudeau had previously said that Canadians "stand ready" to help the people of Lebanon, later citing the friendship between the two countries and Canada's own Lebanese population.

In Toronto, the city's famous sign was dimmed out of respect for the people of Beirut.

There was also a vigil held at Nathan Phillips Square.

The explosion, which occurred in Lebanon's capital city on August 4, has left at least 200 dead and roughly 5000 injured, according to BBC News.

Comments are now closed.
Account Settings
Notifications
Favourites
Share Feedback
Log Out

Register this device to receive push notifications