Sign in
Ontario Fire Department Is Warning People Not To Sleep With Their Phones

Next time you're about to charge your phone bedside, you might want to think again. 

One Ontario Fire Department is warning of the dangers of sleeping with your phone by posting terrifying photos of the consequences. 

On Friday, Mississauga Fire and Emergency Services revealed an incident where a phone had caught on fire underneath a pillow and burnt the bed.  

Editor's Choice: Here Are The Things That Will Remain Open During Toronto & Peel's Lockdown

"We get it…You love your phone…But don’t charge it while you sleep or under your pillow…," wrote the department. 

A spokesperson for Mississauga Fire told Narcity that residents are being asked to charge their devices "on hard flat non-combustible surfaces." 

"Unplug when completed charging. Use charging devices carrying a Canadian certification marking and appropriate for the device," the statement added.

While these photos are not from a current incident, cellphone explosions have been reported in Ontario before.

In 2014, a university student told CBC that her Samsung Galaxy exploded one night and set her duvet on fire. 

Stay Informed
Get Toronto's latest and greatest stories every day straight to your inbox.

London fire crews are reminding residents to never leave their candles unattended following a nasty structure fire.

According to the London Fire Department, emergency crews had to deal with a fire on Stratton Drive on Monday morning after the owner left their candles unattended.

Keep Reading Show less

An Ontario Walmart was set on fire last night for the second time in under a year in an act of arson that has resulted in charges.

According to Waterloo Regional Police, officers responded to an incident of a garbage bin that was set on fire outside a store in the Sunrise Shopping Centre at 1400 Ottawa St. S. at around 9 p.m. on Thursday. They were then called to another fire that had been started inside a business in the shopping centre.

Keep Reading Show less

If you were looking to take the QEW in Burlington this morning, you may want to re-think your route.

A truck loaded with batteries caught on fire early this morning and was reported by the OPP's Highway Safety Division at 3:37 a.m. to have caused road closures.

Keep Reading Show less

A Building Exploded In Ontario Last Night & Left 3 People Hospitalized (PHOTOS)

"Homes and businesses in the area have been evacuated."

An explosion in downtown Wheatley last night has left three people hospitalized and forced many in the area to evacuate.

The explosion took place at around 6 p.m. on August 26 on the corner of Erie Street and Talbot street, according to Chatham-Kent officials.

Keep Reading Show less