Ontario's Minimum Wage Is Rising This Week & Here's What That Means For Your Paychecks
It's starting up on New Year's Day! 🤑
Right at the start of the new year, Ontario's minimum wage is increasing to $15 an hour.
Earlier in December, Ontario announced that the province's general minimum wage rates will be going up on January 1, 2022, which is a 65 cent increase from what it is currently at $14.35 per hour.
This means that full-time minimum wage workers could get an annual raise of $1,350 in 2022, according to the provincial government's estimations.
Liquor servers will also see their wages increase from $12.55 to $15 an hour, too, which is a $2.45 hourly increase to their earnings.
All students who are under 18 and work an average of 28 hours per week or less while in school, or working during a break, will likely see a 60 cent raise and earn $14.10 an hour instead of $13.50. Homeworkers, too, will see a pay raise from $15.80 an hour to $16.50 an hour.
Fishing and hunting guides will have new rates of $75 for working less than five consecutive hours per day and $150.05 for working five or more hours during the day.
Federal minimum wage rates across Canada already went up to $15 per hour effective December 29, though provinces and territories with a higher hourly rate will be paying their minimum wage workers the higher amount.
Even though the minimum wage is going up soon, the living wage rates in Ontario are still way higher than what is currently being offered to workers.
Ontario's NDP Party already campaigned to raise minimum wages to $20 an hour if they get elected into office.
- 6 New Ontario Laws & Regulations That Are Going To Be A Big Deal ... ›
- Ontario's Minimum Wage Set To Increase In January & You Could ... ›
- Federal Minimum Wage Is Going Up To $15 At The End Of 2021 But ... ›
- Minimum Wage Is Going Up In Several Provinces In 2022 & Here's Who'll Be Paid The Most - Narcity ›
- Ontario Set To Get A Minimum Wage For Gig Workers & Here's What You Need To Know - Narcity ›
- Ontario Plans To Raise The Minimum Wage Again This Year & Here's What You Need To Know - Narcity ›
- A Man Accidentally Got Paid 300 Times His Salary & Now He's Totally Disappeared With The Money - Narcity ›