It's estimated that at least 426 children have died at residential schools in Ontario.
The Ontario government announced it will be spending $10M to help identify and investigate Residential School burial sites across the province.
Ford explained that the $10M, which will be used to support the identification, investigation, protection and commemoration of burial sites in the province, will be spent over the next three years.
The investigation will work in collaboration with Indigenous leaders. This will ensure that the process respects the wishes of Residental School survivors and their families.
Greg Rickford, the province's minister of Indigenous affairs, said that preliminary work done by the Truth and Reconciliation Commission has already found 12 locations of unmarked burial sites in Ontario.
- Residential School Sites In Canada: Feds Commit Millions For More ... ›
- Kamloops Residential School: Singh Is Calling For An Emergency ... ›
- Residential Schools Canada: Feds Are Being Asked To Investigate ... ›
- Ontario Had At Least 18 Residential Schools & Here's Where They Were - Narcity ›
- The US Found 500 Indigenous Graves At Boarding Schools & It Looks Like Canada All Over Again - Narcity ›