Two children consumed the cereal at a sleepover.
Toronto Police announced an update on June 20 regarding a poisoning investigation that has been ongoing since March.
On March 7, TPS and the Ontario Coroner's Office began an investigation that looked into the death of a 3-year-old child, said police in their press release.
It was alleged that a man slipped a controlled substance into the breakfast cereal of two children that stayed together during a sleepover, which sent both kids to the hospital.
While one of the children recovered after a long time at the hospital, one died due to the consumption of the cereal.
Francis Ngugi was arrested on Saturday, June 19, and charged with two counts of administering noxious substance to endanger life, two counts of unlawfully causing bodily harm, and one count of criminal negligence causing death. Ngugi appeared in court on Sunday.
While TPS will not confirm the identity of the toddler, Bernice Nantanda Wamala, a 3-year-old girl, had passed away that same day due to similar causes.
A GoFundMe for 3-year-old toddler surpasses goal
Since the news that a 3-year-old had died after attending a sleepover in Toronto, residents have rallied together to raise funds for the family.
A GoFundMe fundraiser for Wamala was set up in March and has now raised over $40,000. The original goal was set at $20,000.
Maurine Mirembe, the mother of the child wrote, "Without falling sick, warning or a sign, my baby died, just like that. I wish to lay her to rest back home in Uganda, where our heritage is, and where she would be at peace."
"I humbly call upon your assistance and request that you may help me fulfill this wish."
- Toronto Toddler Dies After Having Breakfast With A Friend & Getting ... ›
- Toronto Police Arrest Man Who Allegedly Cooked Dinner During Break & Enter - Narcity ›
- Toronto Police Charge Man After Hidden Camera In Smoke Detector Found - Narcity ›
- Someone In Toronto Was Shooting Arrows Off Their Balcony At A Drone & Charges Were Laid - Narcity ›
- A Woman Allegedly Poisoned Her Boyfriend's Lemonade Because He 'Wouldn't Shut Up' - Narcity ›