There Were Huge Lineups At Canada’s Borders Yesterday & One Was 7 Hours Long (VIDEO)
American travellers were waiting in line from 3:15 a.m. on Monday morning. 🤯
There were long lineups at several of Canada's land border crossings on Monday, as the country officially reopened to fully vaccinated Americans for the first time in over a year.
While lengthy wait times were expected at Canada's major entry points, those travelling between International Falls, Minnesota and Fort Frances, Ontario experienced delays of up to seven hours, per CBC News.
Tricia Heibel, president of the International Falls Area Chamber of Commerce, posted a video on Facebook showing the significant lineup at the Canada-U.S. border crossing.
Heibel said that cars were lined up for over two miles and that some travellers had been waiting in line since 3:15 a.m. on Monday morning.
"License plates from so many different states!" she wrote. "Utterly amazing!"
Those crossing the Thousand Islands International Bridge between northern New York and Ontario experienced wait times between one and three hours on Monday, while as many as 200 cars lined up at B.C.'s Peace Arch crossing.
This comes as Canada reopened its land and air borders to eligible fully vaccinated Americans and U.S. citizens on Monday, August 9, for the first time since March 2020. They are now permitted to enter the country for non-essential purposes, including shopping, travel and tourism.
There had originally been concerns that Canada Border Service Agency (CBSA) strike action could impact the border reopening and cause long delays for travellers. However, the strikes were cancelled after an agreement was reached.
*This article's cover image is for illustrative purposes only.
- US Will Keep Canada Land Border Shut Until August 21 - Narcity ›
- Canada's Travel Restrictions Are Changing But Travel Advice Isn't ... ›
- Canada's Travel Rules Are Changing On August 9 & Here Are The ... ›
- The US Land Border Will Reportedly Stay Closed To Canadians Until At Least October 21 - Narcity ›
- Canadians Travelling To The US Next Month Will Still Need A Negative COVID Test To Get Home - Narcity ›
- Wait Times At The Canada-US Land Border Vary So Much RN & Some Lines Are 3 Hours Long - Narcity ›