This Small Town In Georgia Was Transformed Into A German Alpine Village (PHOTOS)
It's like stepping out into another world.
Helen, Georgia, sits in the heart of the Blue Ridge mountains alongside the Chattahoochee River. This buzzy alpine village is a popular destination for visitors looking to slip into scenes out of a German travel book without having to take an international flight.
Inspired by Bavarian towns he visited in the German Alps, one llpsl artist and businessman decided to reinvent the town's main street in 1969 to attract passing travelers. The vision continued to expand resulting in a charming Alpine village poised in the valleys of North Georgia's mountains.
Visitors can stroll down Main Street and take in the colorful German-style buildings and architecture. Flags and fairy lights line the street, and the stone paths are perfect for pedestrian traffic.
When you're ready for a refreshment, grab an imported draft beer or a huge Bavarian pretzel that many of the bars and restaurants serve along the way. Hofbrauhaus Restaurant & Pub is a local classic, with a lovely patio for outdoor dining.
For visitors 21 and older, there's a family-owned brewery where visitors can sample flights of local beers.
There are several vineyards and wineries close by due to the town's proximity to Georgia's "Wine Highway." You can walk through the vineyard foliage and try a glass of Sauvignon Blanc from Yonah Mountain Vineyards.
If you're the outdoorsy type, Helen's natural landscape is the perfect backdrop for zip-lining, horseback riding, or hiking to see a waterfall.
Before you get going, check out our Responsible Travel Guide so you can be informed, be safe, be smart, and most of all, be respectful on your adventure.
- This Charming Coastal Beach Town In Georgia Is A Secret Celebrity ... ›
- Pigeon Forge, The Bizarre Town Where 'Bad Vegan's' Sarma Was ... ›
- River Tubing In Georgia Helen Tubing And Waterpark Is An Affordable Summer Adventure - Narcity ›
- 7 Fun Things To Do In Georgia That Feel Like A European Vacation If You're Too Broke To Travel - Narcity ›
- This Garden Near Atlanta Has Huge Meadows & A Monet Bridge With 140 Types Of Waterlilies - Narcity ›
- This Charming Small Town In The Georgia Mountains Has Gorgeous Train Rides & Hidden Waterfalls - Narcity ›
- This Lovely Small Town In Georgia Looks Straight From A Storybook & Has A Charming Downtown - Narcity ›