Ontario Froze All The Money Raised On GiveSendGo For The Freedom Convoy
They also froze the donations raised for an Adopt-A-Trucker campaign.
The money raised in two campaigns meant for the Freedom Convoy protesters won't be making it to their pockets after the Ontario government froze the funds.
Ontario froze access to donations raised on GiveSendGo, a Christian crowdfunding website, on " Freedom Convoy " and "Adopt-a-Trucker" campaign pages.
According to an emailed statement from the premier's office, the attorney general successfully petitioned the Superior Court of Justice "for an order pursuant to section 490.8 of the C riminal Code prohibiting any person from disposing of, or otherwise dealing with, in any manner whatsoever, any and all monetary donations" made through either of these campaigns.
"It binds any and all parties with possession or control over these donations," the statement said.
Following the news, GiveSendGo put out a statement on Twitter.
Know this! Canada has absolutely ZERO jurisdiction over how we manage our funds here at GiveSendGo. All funds for EVERY campaign on GiveSendGo flow directly to the recipients of those campaigns, not least of which is The Freedom Convoy campaign.— GiveSendGo (@GiveSendGo) 1644541284
"Know this! Canada has absolutely ZERO jurisdiction over how we manage our funds here at GiveSendGo. All funds for EVERY campaign on GiveSendGo flow directly to the recipients of those campaigns, not least of which is The Freedom Convoy campaign," the crowdfunding site tweeted on February 10.
Since January 29, Freedom Convoy demonstrators have been occupying Ottawa's streets in protest of COVID-19 vaccine mandates as well as the lockdown measures that span across the country.
A GoFundMe page that raised over
$10 million for the Freedom Convoy was taken off the website
after it was found to be in violation of GoFundMe's terms of service, specifically the term that prohibits promoting violence and harassment. Anyone who donated to this fundraiser will have their money returned to them.
Health Canada has a robust website with all the latest
information on COVID-19 vaccines
and can answer any questions you may have.
- The Freedom Convoy GoFundMe Has Been Removed & Donors ... ›
- GoFundMe Has Paused Donations To The Freedom Convoy & Put ... ›
- The 'Freedom Convoy' Protesters Aren't Actually Fighting For ... ›
- Doug Ford Says Ontario Will Continue To 'Raise The Consequences' For Lawbreakers In Ottawa - Narcity ›
- OPP Launch An Investigation After Officers Reportedly Donated To The Freedom Convoy - Narcity ›
- I’m Not Anti-Vaxx, But Joining The Freedom Convoy Protest Restored My Canadian Pride - Narcity ›
- The Freedom Convoy Cost Ottawa Over $36 Million & The City Wants The Feds To Fork Out - Narcity ›