Vaccine certificates come into effect on September 22.
Vaccine certificates are coming to Ontario on September 22, and in order to access spaces such as restaurants and gyms, you'll need to have two doses of a COVID-19 vaccine, having had your last dose at least 14 days prior.
There are only two circumstances that allow for an exemption, outside of people under 12 years old who are not yet eligible for the vaccine.
The Ontario Ministry of Health told Narcity that the two valid medical exemptions are "allergy to a component of the vaccine as confirmed by an allergist/immunologist," and "myocarditis/pericarditis after a first dose of an mRNA vaccine."
"Myocarditis is inflammation of the heart muscle, and pericarditis is inflammation of the outer lining of the heart," according to the CDC. Myocarditis and pericarditis can be triggered by infection or other factors and the body's immune system responds by causing inflammation.
Myocarditis has occurred in individuals after receiving an mRNA COVID-19 vaccination, however, "most patients with myocarditis or pericarditis who received care responded well to medicine and rest and felt better quickly," according to the CDC website.
According to a July 2021 report from Public Health Ontario, there have only been "a small number of reports of pericarditis or myocarditis following vaccination with a COVID-19 mRNA vaccine in Canada."
According to the Ontario Ministry of Health, until digital vaccine certificates are available, "individuals who cannot receive the vaccine due to medical exemptions will be permitted with a doctor's note until the medical exemption can be integrated as part of a digital vaccine certificate."
Health Canada has a robust website with all the latest information on COVID-19 vaccines and can answer any questions you may have.
This article's cover image was used for illustrative purposes only.
- Ontario's Vaccine Certificate Will Be Required At All These ... ›
- Ontario's Vaccine Certificate Announcement Sparks Protests At ... ›
- Here's How To Get Your COVID-19 Vaccination Record In Ontario ... ›
- Ontario's Vaccine Certificate Program Comes With Fines Of $750 Or More If You Break Rules - Narcity ›
- These Companies In Ontario Are Giving Cash To Workers Who Get Vaccinated - Narcity ›
- Toronto Is Changing Vaccine Certificate Rules For Indoor Sports This Fall - Narcity ›
- Ontario Vaccine Certificates With A QR Code Are Available Today For Everyone To Download - Narcity ›
- 2 More Ontario Doctors Are Banned From Giving Out Medical Exemptions For COVID-19 Vaccines - Narcity ›