Search on Narcity

Several People Have Become 'Seriously Ill' After Eating At This Markham Restaurant

Public Health has issued an important warning.

Toronto Associate Editor
Delight Restaurant & BBQ in Markham.

Delight Restaurant & BBQ in Markham.

A restaurant in the city of Markham has reportedly caused several people to become "seriously ill" after eating there over the weekend.

York Regional Police told Narcity they became aware of an incident on Sunday, August 28 and that the "York Region Public Health Inspector has been engaged and are currently investigating."

Dr. Barry Pakes, York Region Medical Officer of Health, said, "the Regional Municipality of York is currently investigating reports of several individuals becoming seriously ill following a meal at a restaurant in the City of Markham," according to an emailed statement sent to Narcity.

The incident occurred at Delight Restaurant & BBQ, located at 1250 Castlemore Ave., Unit 4, in Markham and thus far York Region Public Health is aware of 12 individuals who are experiencing symptoms.

Anyone who ate there on Saturday, August 27, 2022, or Sunday, August 28, 2022, who feels unwell should seek medical attention immediately.

This includes anyone who had dine-in, takeout or delivery. Public health is also warning people to throw out any food from the restaurant.

York Regional Public Health has responded by immediately taking action and closing the restaurant.

Delight Restaurant & BBQ will remain closed as the investigation is ongoing. However, "at this point in the investigation, there does not appear to be a significant risk to the public," said the York Region Medical Officer of Health.

It is important to note that the restaurant is cooperating with the investigation.

"Based on the initial investigation and quick onset of symptoms experienced by ill individuals, the illness may be caused by a food ingredient contaminated with aconite," Pakes said.

"Aconite is derived from plants and plant roots that contain toxic alkaloids and can cause severe illness; aconite containing plants is used in herbal medicine when prepared in a particular way that removes toxins," he added.

However, the lab is still waiting to receive confirmation that the substance is in fact aconite, and results are expected by the end of the week.

Dr. David Juurlink, head of the Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology division at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre in Toronto, said in a tweet on Monday that "aconitine is a highly toxic alkaloid derived from the genus Aconitum (monkshood, wolfsbane and others)."

Some indications of poisoning include nausea, vomiting, cramping, numbness, muscle weakness or even coma.

In other words, "aconite is bad news," Juurlink said.

*This article has been updated.

This is a developing story. Check back for more details.

    Mira Nabulsi
    Toronto Associate Editor
    Mira Nabulsi is an Associate Editor for Narcity Canada’s Ontario Desk focused on cheap travel from Toronto and is based in Toronto, Ontario.
Recommended For You

Loading...