If there was ever a saving grace about Toronto construction noise, it was that it stopped during certain hours of the day. However, all of that changed back in April when Ford's government announced it would be extending construction hours. This decision was not a welcome one among downtown residents, and they're sharing their frustrations online.
Several Torontonians have taken to social media this month to voice their complaints about the noise levels.
A tweet posted by a local named Jon de Leon went viral after he tagged councillor Josh Matlow and the City of Toronto in an impassioned rant.
In the video, he sarcastically lashes out against Premier Doug Ford for allowing construction crews to work well into the evening.
The clip shows him standing on his balcony, talking over the loud noise in the background.
"This is a Doug Ford thing. He decided that it's okay for construction to go on until 10:00 p.m. at night and as early as 6:00 a.m. in the morning," he says.
"That's just the way it is, you know. I called 311. I called my city councillor, nothing they can do. Nothing, absolutely nothing I can do."
CONSTRUCTION IS DRIVING ME INSANE!!! @JoshMatlow @cityoftoronto https://t.co/gXyPFOueao— jon de Leon (@jon de Leon) 1597886224.0
Councillor Matlow empathized with de Leon. He replied to his tweet, calling it a "shameful" situation and vowing to fight for change.
"The effect this decision is having on your life is shameful. And I'll keep fighting until the province changes it. But I must say, your video was completely awesome," Matlow wrote.
Other videos shared on Twitter depict similar scenes, with loud construction noise as late as 11 p.m. on a Saturday night.
There's not even one day of rest in downtown Toronto anymore. Construction taking place mostly 7 days a week, 12 ho… https://t.co/pGHnqyjAfW— Lisa Harding (@Lisa Harding) 1596983164.0
The City of Toronto has said that the new construction regulations could stay in place until October 7, 2021.
Narcity had previously reached out to the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing for more clarity on the reason it was instated.
A spokesperson explained that these projects are "critical" for thousands of families in need of housing.
"There are tens of thousands of residential units being built in Ontario this year. Those projects are critical to the thousands of families who need a roof over their heads," they said.