The film is set in Toronto and it's not hard to tell!
Canadian fans of Disney-Pixar movies, get your calendars out. Turning Red, the next movie from the famous animation studio, is coming out on March 11, 2022, and it's set in Toronto, Ontario.
The film follows the story of Mei, a Chinese-Canadian girl who is navigating growing up with an unusually hairy difference — when she gets too excited, she turns into a giant red panda. The trailer for the film dropped on July 13, and there are tons of Canadian clues for fans to look for.
Turning Red | Teaser Trailer
The film's location was confirmed by a production designer back in February, but the trailer is chock-full of easter eggs, too.
The Canadian flags on the school are a pretty big giveaway that the film is set here, but if you look closely, you'll see that the name of the school is also familiar. Lester B. Pearson Middle School isn't a real school in Toronto, but it is named after a real person — Lester B. Pearson, a former Canadian Prime Minister.
The CN Tower is also visible as red panda Mei runs across the rooftops, and human Mei rocks a great maple leaf shirt for a few, brief seconds in the trailer (before she explodes back into a giant red panda).
The film is set in 2002/2003 — as per the film's poster — and there are a few great early 2000s nostalgic elements in the trailer, too, like the tech deck that one student plays with or the Backstreet Boys song that plays throughout.
- Disney Plus Movies That You May Not Know Were Filmed In ... ›
- Movies On Disney+ That Are Highly Rated & Over Two Hours Long ... ›
- Ed Asner, Voice Of 'Up's Iconic Grumpy Grandpa, Passes Away - Narcity ›
- Pixar's 'Turning Red' Dropped A New Trailer & It's Full Of Iconic Toronto Spots (VIDEO) - Narcity ›
- Toronto Just Ranked As The Best Canadian City To Be A Moviemaker & Is 2nd In North America - Narcity ›
- Air Canada Will Have Their First Ever Movie-Themed Plane To Celebrate A Toronto Set Film - Narcity ›
- 8 Moments In Pixar's 'Turning Red' Movie That Only Canadians Will Truly Understand - Narcity ›
- Sandra Oh Of Pixar's 'Turning Red' Shares Her Fave Spots In Toronto & Ottawa (VIDEO) - Narcity ›